We are huge advocates of pet adoption. We adopted our beloved pets of many kinds , from rescue agencies and centers and rescued from animal mills and we have never been happier! They become a part of the family in every sense. Here are the tops reasons ..
1) Adopted pets "Some " are mostly mixed breeds or as some call them "mutts " .Well they have GREAT personalities and tend to have much less health problems than purebreds. You will also most likely have a pet that looks different from any other pet. One of our dogs is black and very dainty but is obviously mixed with a lot of different breeds. People are constantly asking us what kinds of breeds our pets are so that they can buy the same type of pet!! NO!
2) When you adopt a pet you are helping to save pets in need of homes and aren't contributing to "backyard breeders" and animal mills. You are doing yourself and the pet a great service!
3) Adopted pets are must less expensive up front than pets from breeders. You normally just pay an adoption fee from $100-$300 where a breeder fee can be upwards of $1000! A lot of times there are pure breeds in your local shelters!!
4) You can often times get a pet that is a little bit older and that is house trained. It was so nice to not have to worry about house training in some cases. Most are also still young enough so that they can be completely obedience trained.
5) If you decide to adopt an older pet that pet will probably have already been neutered by the previous owner or by the rescue agency. Older pets make great companions and are often already trained. If they aren't, a lot of rescue agencies offer discounts on training classes.
6) You are saving a life! Sadly, many rescues and shelters over run with homeless dogs (and cats!) that need good homes.